BETA Unlocked: Address Input!

@shantanukumar847
Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

You guessed right - the Address Input behaves as you suggested. It normalises the addresses into a canonical form. In the case of choosing the address “Miami, Florida, USA” from the list of auto-suggestions, the address will be normalised to “Miami, FL, USA”. This is how it will appear in the box, and this is the value that will be used if the address is submitted to a dataset, or accessed via Corvid API.

In any case, I will add the Place ID feature request to our backlog.

Thanks!

1 Like

Why Their is no Hebrew on the display language :slightly_frowning_face:?

@patrick We’ve released fixes to the Address Input. Could you please check again and let me know if your issue still persists?
If it does, could you please share your website?

Thanks!

We’ve released fixes to the Address Input. Could you please check again and let me know if your issue still persists?
If it does, could you please share your website?

Thanks!

@eyalc The issue is still happening. Also, one other thing I noticed is that the setting doesn’t show on the address input for incorrect address format. Here is the page where it is at https://www.raisingourtribe.org/submit-resource

@patrick Do you use Domain Verification?
https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials/domainverification

@eyalc The domain is verified. I tried with and without the verification and still not working. I don’t see any type of error being logged. Google is also showing that there have been no requests to the API key that I put in the address input.

@eyalc Thanks for the fix but its still not working.

As you can see here: https://www.dudelemon.com/test-page

On the left-hand side of the page I have your Address Input element but whenever I click on an item from the drop-down, nothing happens. I get the following error in my console:

This API project is not authorized to use this API.  For more information on authentication and Google Maps JavaScript API services please see: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/get-api-key

(I do not have any restrictions on my API Key)

However I don’t think its an issue with my API key because I use the same API Key on my custom made Address Input Element on the right hand side of the page and its working well. Check the console logs on the page.

Another Concern:

When the above mentioned error is shown in the console, when you hover over the hyperlinked text as shown in the below image it is displaying my API key

I know I can restrict usage of my API Key from the Google Console Dashboard but is there any way to stop this from displaying in the error?

@patrick It seems that your Address Input is working now. Am I missing something?
I guess you have removed domain verification, right?
Anything else you had to do to make it work? Add certain permissions?

Thanks!

@shantanukumar847 Thank you for descriptive report!

Unlike your custom input, the Address Input makes additional API calls to Google to get Geocoding and other information about the address.

Based on the error you’re receiving, it seems that your API Key does not have all the required permissions, namely Geocoding. May I ask you to head over to the Google Cloud Platform dashboard and make sure you have Geocoding API listed among your APIs?
Also, please make sure that under Credentials you have no restriction over the Geocoding API.

BTW, did you happen to click on the “Find out how” link in the Connect Google Maps panel?
It takes you to an article with instructions on how to connect your API key, and mentions, among other things, that you should "Make sure to select the Maps , Places , and Geocoding APIs" .

If this article isn’t discoverable, or isn’t clear enough, then I’d like to update it. Have you come across it?

Thanks

@shan Checking about the concern about exposing the API Key in the error message. Will get back to you.

@naimibaby Looks like a mistake actually. Seems like we’re populating the dropdown with the wrong list of languages :flushed:
Checking and getting back to you.
Thanks!

@eyalc I have not seen it work yet and I have been trying it a lot every day (I have been testing back end stuff after the form is submitted). There seems to be api requests from the google cloud stats but none have been from me. It has not shown any requests or errors while I am using it so maybe it just isn’t calling the api when I use it?

@eyalc Update, it works on google chrome but not on firefox. I have no restrictions set and I also have the domain name verified.

@eyalc

Geocoding API was the only thing that I missed out. It was my fault as I did not go over the article minutely :slight_smile:

Everything is working perfectly now.

Thank you!

@eyalc So far, it works on chrome and edge. Not firefox.

@eyalc , the Address Input is no longer showing in my editor, why is that? :frowning:

Hey @roberthamilton ,
Sorry for the late response.

We are working on a few updates to the Address Input. We decided to close the Beta while we’re doing this. Will update as soon as we re-open it.

2 Likes

@eyalc ok. I really need this functionality, so the sooner the better.

I noticed an issue with the ‘Address’ field in the Database. It seems to show up ‘toString not found’ when entering an address via the live database.

I have some requests for improvements:

• Allow us to connect the Address field to a text element to display the address, i thought this would be standard…?

How long are we expected to wait? I kinda took on a project based on this functionality coming out in to the open now it’s closed. It worked fine for me :slight_smile:

1 Like