Balancing Client Reviews and Maintenance Updates: Managing Website Updates with Wix Studio

Product:
Wix Studio

Question:
Hi! Hope y’all doing fine. I’m currently facing a little technique issue and I would like to get your help.

I’m currently building a website for a client that already has a website. We are currently updating it. My client built their website in another platform and I’m creating the new website in Wix Studio.

Anyway, as it takes me a few weeks before I can launch their website, we have to make a page with their domain saying that we are currently updating the website → this page is assigned as the home page. Now, I thought about redirecting every page to the “we are currently updating” as people might potentially have access to old URLs.

However, if I do this, I am not able to give access to my client with the “review function built within Wix Studio” as all the other pages I’m currently building are not on the page “we are currently buidling”.

What are you trying to achieve:
Now, how can I achieve letting my client give me review within the Wix Studio feature for asking their review knowing that the only page that is connected to their domain is the “we are currently updating page”?

Is it like possible to create a link where only the client can have access and all other customer that will have access to their domain will have access the page “we’re currently updating” ?

Or/and, can you give me any other advice on how to deal with a situation like this? → where we need to say to the public that we are currently updating but we have a private link for the client where they can see all the other pages that we’re currently doing for the website?

I’m not sure if you can handle this without coding. And even with coding I’m not sure if Wix’s review tool will work as you expect.

Another way can be this:

Create a subdomain site (like: building.domain.com) and in that site publish that we are currently building page.

In the DNS settings redirect all main traffic to that URL. Or instead of a subdomain, if you can create a page like that in the paltform that your client was using and redirect all traffic to that page right now.

Build the new version of site in Wix and share the temp URLs with your client (username.wixstudio.io url).

1 Like

So you want to use the Get Feedback tool but:

• You have a Coming Soon landing page
  • You have no menu for your Client to navigate
  • The Public should not have access to a menu
  • The pages are not ready for Public view

What you could do is add a button at the bottom of the landing page called “Admin Login”. Small, inconspicuous, simple button or hyperlink text.

You can link to a hidden page that is password protected (via page settings, no coding needed). Just make sure the hidden pages have a menu for your client to navigate AND make sure the hidden pages have temporary URL slugs so the Public doesn’t find the hidden pages. Or add a password to every page if you don’t want to add the temporary slugs.

1 Like

Hi! Thank you so much for your response and for summarizing my question so clearly.

This is actually perfect!

I’ve added a hidden button to the corner of the “we are currently updating” page, which links to the home page of the website that is password protected. It’s ideal because you can utilize the function within Wix Studio to request client reviews, and the public cannot access the website if they use the URL slug, as they will be redirected to the announcement page.

Just summarizing what I did in case it’s helpful for someone in the future!
Thank you for your assistance!

1 Like

Hi, thank you very much for your support and help!

It would have been great to proceed that way. Unfortunately, I have to connect their domain in Wix to utilize some of Wix Studio’s features. Occasionally, they only grant permission to install plugins if the domain is connected.

However, I’ve found a solution! Thanks again for your support; I appreciate it!