Update Profile in Wix Member's Area

Hi there,

I have a member’s area page and I observed that when a member updates his/her profile through member’s area, the system-created “Members/FullData” and “Members/PublicData” collection gets updated but the wixMembers_onMemberUpdated(event) does not run, which is causing some other problems to the subsequent code I’m writing.

Hi Alexander,

The wixMembers_onMemberUpdated(event) is a webhook that gets triggered every time a member makes changes to their profile.

Now, since this is a webhook, the code for this cannot be added to any frontend site pages. You will have to create a new .js file in the backend, which should be specifically titled events.js and then you can add your code in the wixMembers_onMemberUpdated(event).

Hi there Pratham,
Correct, the wixMembers_onMemberUpdated(event) is already in the backend events.js file and it does not fire up when a member updates his/her about section.
All the other member details (e.g. firstName, lastName etc.) are triggered, except for this about section.

Hmm I see where this is coming from.
These about fields look like a new addition to the Wix Members Area (as far as I know).

I’ll try to bring this to the Wix team’s notice.

@noahlovell, @anthony

Thanks Pratham! Appreciate it.
Hope it gets resolved soon.

P.S. (I didn’t know these were newly added!)

I’m not seeing an “About” section on the default member profile. Can you share an example site that reproduces this issue?

Hi @anthony ,

Thanks for coming back. Attaching a screenshot for your reference.
This is in the Member’s Area → Profile → About section. When the About section is updated, the Members/FullData and Member/PublicData collections are updated, but the backend event wixMembers_onMemberUpdated will not be fired.

Whenever there is change in the Member’s Area → My Account → [Field details], those would trigger the wixMembers_onMemberUpdated event but not this. A member would need to update Profile → About and then go back to My Account and hit the “Update” button for the event to be manually triggered.

1 Like

Thank you. Will check internally!

Appreciate your help @anthony Anthony! =)

Aside, if in the future I observed similar possible bugs like this, how would you recommend I log / request support for it. Am asking because I do not think the “Give Velo feedback” stated here is there anymore

Ref: How to Report a Bug

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out! I’ve updated the post to reflect the proper place to report a bug.

As for your report it appears to not be a bug but a missing feature. I’ve shared this feedback with the team but one additional action you can take is to open a request on the product roadmap: Product Roadmap

Thanks & appreciate it @anthony. I’ll proceed with opening the request.

In the meantime, any thoughts / recommendation of how I and other developers mighty be able to work around the issue.

I think I tried the afterUpdate hook on the system generated Members/FullData collections but it didn’t seem to work.

Ref: afterUpdate - Velo API Reference - Wix.com

1 Like

Another workaround you could try is to schedule a job that periodically checks that collection and performs the necessary updates you need it to.

More info here: https://www.wix.com/velo/reference/getting-started/schedule-jobs